Fondy Food Center relies on a small team of dedicated staff to bring healthy food and economic opportunity to Greater Milwaukee. We always have need for volunteers, and sometimes have staff position openings. See below for current opportunities.
Position Opening: Administrative Assistant (Part-time, 24 -30 hours per week)
Position Overview: The Administrative Assistant is a crucial member of the team – working behind the scenes to ensure operations of the Fondy Food Center’s programs. We are a small team with a big impact – and each team member wears many hats. Overall Responsibilities: The Administrative Assistant will be responsible for accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, and donor record maintenance. The Administrative Assistant will also assist with the agency’s financial management, fundraising/development activities, programs, events, and communications.
Agency Overview: The Fondy Food Center is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that brings healthy food and economic opportunity to Greater Milwaukee by operating local farmers markets throughout the year; providing access to land, resources and support to small-scale farmers; and building a better food system to improve food security & food justice in our community.
Position Starts: As soon as possible, with flexibility
Compensation: Commensurate with experience. This is a part-time, hourly position, with the potential to become full-time.
- Treat all people with dignity and respect, regardless of their background.
- Fluent in Microsoft Office suite (especially Excel).
- Willingness to learn new skills and engage with technology.
- Strong communication skills.
- Detail oriented; ability to work unsupervised.
- Familiarity with QuickBooks software.
- Experience with donor management software.
- Fundraising experience, especially grant writing and donor cultivation.
- Hmong language skills.
Assist Executive Director in maintaining donor database system, reports, and donor communications.
Assist Chief Operating Officer with maintaining accounts payable/receivable system.
Maintain polite and personal communications via electronic, mail and phone.
Prepare for meetings; provide follow-up.
Assist team with special projects, events, and tasks as they arise.
To Apply: Send a cover letter, resume, and three references to: email@example.com
Position Opening: Farmers Market Assistant (Part-time, 8 -20 hours per week, dependent on market season)
The Fondy Food Center manages the Fondy Farmers Market (2200 W Fond du Lac Ave, Milwaukee 53206) and the Milwaukee Winter Farmers Market (524 S. Layton Blvd, Milwaukee 53215). Our two farmers markets operate between 1-4 markets/week nearly year-round (May through March).
The Farmers Market Assistant helps with the daily operations of the markets. Duties included in the job are:
- Set-up and take-down of market, which includes: moving market supplies into place; setting up Info Booth, vendor stalls, and public areas; putting signage up, etc.
- Customer service and answering questions about the market.
- Run Quest/EBT (FoodShare/food stamps) transactions at the Info Booth, administer our Market Match program, help with other transactions as needed, and help keep transaction records.
- Give customer surveys.
- Customer counts and other data tracking on market day.
- Clean up of market space and surrounding spaces including, but not limited to: trash pick-up, sweeping, washing of ground/surfaces, weeding, and mowing.
- Monitoring bathrooms to make sure they’re clean and stocked with supplies.
Please note that this is a job with changing seasonal hours and locations. Generally it will be about 20 hours/week from June-November, and about 8 hours/week December-March and May, with early-morning to mid-afternoon hours. Our expectation is that you’ll be available Saturdays, Sundays, Tuesday, and Thursdays, dependent on the market season. In the summer, this work is outdoors and in all weather, but mostly under a structure. In the winter you will have to spend minimal time outside, but will still need to be prepared for weather.
Position Starts: As soon as possible
Compensation: Commensurate with experience, ranging from $8.00/hour to $10.00/hour starting wage. This is a part-time, hourly position.
- Timely and reliable
- Ability to follow directions well
- Ability to work independently
- Comfortable with technology
- Proficient in basic math and counting
- Good communications
- Positive attitude
To Apply: Please send introduction/resume to and request an application from Katie Hassemer, Director of Farmers Markets, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Fondy Food Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, disability, or veteran status. We strongly encourage applications from people identifying as BIPOC, people with disabilities, LGBTQIA+ and others who are underrepresented in local food system work.
Fondy Food Center’s mission is to connect Greater Milwaukee to local, fresh food – from farm to market to table – so that children learn better, adults live healthier, and communities celebrate cultural food traditions.